About Me

At the age of 18 I left home and served 20 years in the United States Air Force, retiring honorably from miltary service. I currently reside in Europe. A very special thanks to P.J. who continues to inspire me

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, July 5, 2007

The 4GB question for 650i/680i NVIDIA chipsets

I've had quite a few friends and PC enthusiasts ask me if I knew of any known problems with motherboards containing the 650i and 680i NVIDIA chipsets and 4gb of memory. I told all of them I was not aware of any problems except a few cases where individuals purchased memory which was not tested or certified for a particular motherboard. I did tell a few people about extreme high voltage memory and certain problems. Once again, this is a good reason to double check the memory you buy with the memory module manufacturer and/or the motherboard manufacturer.

Anyone seeking to take full advantage of 4gb of memory will need a 64 bit operating system such as Microsoft Vista 64 bit. If not then you'll only see just a little more than 3GB in a 32 bit operating system such as Microsoft Vista 32 bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

650i certainly has memory issues beyond compatibility. Asus will not certify any PC2-6400 RAM for their P5N-E SLI board as it will not work in multi-DIMM configs.